[Dixielandjazz] Verve "Standards" series reviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 10 22:22:41 PDT 2010

New Series Delivers Standards Cheaply
by Ellis Widner
Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, August 10, 2010

There always seems to be a market for inexpensive compilations, even if the singer
or musician has had a multitude of previously released "best of" sets. Especially
if it's standards, a word that beckons lovers of good music.
The respected Verve label, which has issued many superb jazz and pop albums over
the decades, has started a series it calls Standards -- hardly an original choice,
but one that communicates exactly what one can expect.
In these budget-conscious times, the titles in this series carry a $6.99 list price.
The label achieves that price point with simple graphics, no liner notes and by limiting
the selections to a rather stingy eight. Ten would have been a better value.
That said, fans of the artists in this series -- Carmen McRae, Quincy Jones, Lester
Young, Dinah Washington, among others -- probably have most, if not all, of these
songs. But for the listener who just wants a taste, these musical appetizers will
probably satisfy.
But be aware: These are not "best of" distillations; standards means the songs have
achieved that status and may or may not be among the artists' best.
Let's take a closer look at a few titles: Billie Holiday. No "Strange Fruit," no
"God Bless the Child." But Holiday's wondrous rendition of "I Thought About You"
and a bittersweet "I'll Be Seeing You" shine.
Louis Armstrong. No "Hello Dolly," but this title includes his distinctive versions
of "A Kiss to Build a Dream On," "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" and a duet
with Ella Fitzgerald on "Our Love Is Here to Stay."
Fred Astaire. Few performers introduced more standards into American pop culture
than the late Fred Astaire. This set has eight of them: "Night and Day," "They Can't
Take That Away from Me," "Cheek to Cheek" and five others.
"Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 Play the Hits" has the same graphic design and price
as the rest of the Standards series. It also has eight tunes, including their lovely
versions of Cole Porter's "Night and Day" and Paul Simon's "Scarborough Fair."

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing
 in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
-- Winston Churchill