[Dixielandjazz] J&D 'left hand'

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Tue Aug 10 16:18:07 PDT 2010

Time was, I was selling recordings via auction
U.S. mail. We printed a 64 page catalog to apx.
4,000 people.
There was a pressing plant (Lp recordings and
45 rpm recordings) near my office on Long Island.
Occasionally they mis-printed jackets or even
labels. These were supposed to be thrown away.
(you betcha)
To make a long story longer, I would buy boxes of
the Lps at approximately $2.00 a box. That's for 50
Lp recordings, all the same.
Once I purchased a Sinatra release where he was
facing the wrong way. So we advertised it in the catalog
as whatever the title was + the album number +
"Sinatra facing left" and a second listing with "Sinatra
facing right." There were collectors that bought both!

Then there was Boris (last name omitted on purpose)
He's the guy responsible for many of the underground
(off the air, live concerts, rehearsal, unreleased takes)
recording. No slick covers. Just one color on ugh paper
under the shrink wrap. No liner notes.
When the printer ran out of, let's say green, the covers
were printed in red or black or purple or whatever he
had on hand.
We advertised Boris's records at a fixed price and
mentioned the color of the cover.
Example: Glenn Miller Plays the Great Hits - Green Cover.
Glenn Miller Plays the Great Hits - Red Cover. etc.

I can't believe collectors. Some ordered every color we had
listed. The recording sounded like they came over the lo fi
telephone. You'll find many mp3's - such as "live at birdland"
from Boris on the tube.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com