[Dixielandjazz] Summertime

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Sun Aug 8 17:33:09 PDT 2010

R.R. wrote:
I learned to hate the song "Summertime."  It is probably the #1 song that bad girl singers want to sing.
=============
Rehearsing with some big bands there were always girl "singers" that requested
either Summertime or Cry Me A River, or Stormy Weather.
I learned to dislike all three until they were performed by some great artist.

* worst - Patrice Munsel (Metropolitan Opera Singer) appeared on a tv show
I believe it was the "Bell Telephone Hour" and had the guts to sing
"Lullaby Of Birdland." I guess you had to be there.

* best - If you never heard Eileen Farrell, (Metropolitan Opera Singer)
sing jazz, pop, or blues you are missing a lot.
She switches gears flawlessly and is right on the money.
and... she sings opera too ;}
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com