[Dixielandjazz] 45s and fidelity

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 11:30:31 PDT 2010

Steve,

this has been a long-standing claim, from the early 80s even.  I bought a 45 lp of "The Firebird" about then, and while it sounded good, it wasn't anything special to me.  The idea of the grooves being les sharp etc, probably does have some validity, esp for low frequencies.  There is a huge difference between CD and 33.3 lp quality still, and frankly the CD loses in my judgement.

But, since most of my listening is done through earbuds or PC speakers, fidelity is far less important to me than the art contained within.

There is a small grassroots movement here in St Louis, to try and bring a "classical" format radio station back.  The local NPR did start an HD radio feed, so it technically IS available, but one guy made the claim that he could hear the difference between standard FM and HD FM.  While I doubt his claim, there are people who can distinguish A441 from A440.  That's a different thing, though.

The important point is to look for the artistry, in my opinion, unless you are such a snob with only the highest quality equipment, a room with Carnegie-esque acoustics, and plenty of money.

My opinions.

steve