[Dixielandjazz] SO THAT'S WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sat Aug 7 03:18:46 PDT 2010

  On 07/08/2010 06:37, Daniel Barrett wrote:

snip

The trad world in Great Britain knows about Rebecca.  We both had the honor of sitting in with the late Humphrey Lyttleton on one our many trips to England, and Becky has been a featured performer at the Blackpool, Norwich and Upton-Upon-Severn Festivals in England; and the Nairn and Edinburgh Festivals in Scotland. She's sung in Canada; Holland; Germany; Australia, and I don't know where else!

Yes Dan,

Rebecca is pretty well known in the UK but not as widely known as you
both deserve to be.
You mentioned stylisitic demarcations in a previous post; the very fact
that you've played at Blackpool, Norwich,  Eastleigh (on a Wednesday!)
and sat in with Humphrey Lyttelton  marks you out as "mainstream" to a
lot of people..... their loss! Having also seen you (both I think) at
Sacramento and San Diego, I get the impression that you attract a wider
cross section of fans.

As for becoming well known in the US, it's just too big and it takes a
long time to become a "name".  I've mentioned before that when we first
started visiting, 12 or more years ago,  we were met with blank faces
when we talked about Jeff Barnhart and Jim Fryer; now they're household
names but it took a long time so it's a good think they were young when
they started :-)

As for  Summertime.... I only agree up to a point..... it has it's
place.  When we play to a, not predominantly jazz audience, we try and
make them feel included ... Dream a little Dream, Gee Baby, Nobody knows
you when you're down and out , That old Devil Called Love,  and yes
sometimes, Summertime are guaranteed to make a few (younger) faces light up.

Judy Eames, Oxfordshire UK

www.judyeames.co.uk