[Dixielandjazz] Mary Lou Williams centennial

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 09:53:38 PDT 2010

I have an album by Andy Kirk comprised mainly of Mary Lou Williams
arrangements and it is nothing short of sensational.  It includes a number
entitled "Lady Who Swings the Blues", obviously referring to her, with a
vocal by Harry Mills.

I read where after retiring from showbiz, Andy Kirk became manager of the
Hotel Teresa in NY's Harlem.

While I have never been able to pin down the exact years involved, it is
quite conceivable that Andy was running the place when Fidel Castro and his
houligans were cooking chickens in their rooms during their first trip to NY
following the overthrow of the Batista regime.

HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -