[Dixielandjazz] Mitch Miller (Washington Post)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:14:42 PDT 2010

A thorough and rather interesting article, indeed.

Of course, we must take into account the fact that Mr. Schudel was really
stretching it refering to Dagmar as an actress.  She was merely a fixture on
one of the first late night TV programs, "Broadway Open House" hosted by
comedian Jerry Lester. and was particularly noted for her larger than
average bust measurement.

I was quite young when the program aired but when first seeing Dagmar, I
remembver my iniitial reaction being 'Now here's someone who makes Marie
Wilson look smart"

If she was still around today, she could very well  be the one who asks, "Do
you want to buy a vowel?"

With regard to Tony Bennett's recording of "Cold, Cold Heart" Tony, on an
interview with Elvis Costello on his Sundance program "Spectacle" said (and
he swears it's true) that sjhortly after the record's release, he received a
phone call from Hank Williams, who not only popularized it but had written
it as well.

Tony said, "When I picked up the phone, from the other end came. "What'd ya
wanta go and ruin my song like that for?'"

As Tony related the incident to Elvis, he didn't sound like he thought
Williams was kidding.but I guess we'll never really know.

Tides,
HC

--
Some men see things as they are and say why....I dream things that never
were and say why not            -