[Dixielandjazz] What Do Kids Like to Play?

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Fri Apr 30 09:34:37 PDT 2010

I would be hard put to decide on a LEAST favorite, but would put Somewhere Over the Rainbow and the Notre Dame Fight Song as my two possibles.  (I admit to some prejudice there, having had USC season tickets for a godzillion years!  :-) )

Possible Favorites:

1--Star Wars Theme
2--St. Louis Blues
3--The Entertainer
4--Saints
5--Either the Patriotic Medley or the Armed Services Medley

Jane Lynch
Janie39 at socal.rr.com

>From Ginny:

Below is a current list of lead sheets for my youth jazz banjo band's
book.  The youth are ages 9 - 14.  The band has been in existence 1  1/2 years
and rehearse as a group only for one hour a week.  Their music  preferences
do change as their skills improve.  But I thought some on the  list might
have fun guessing their top five favorite tunes.  (By the way,  "Are You Having
Any Fun" is on their list, but eliminate it as it has not been  handed out
yet.)  Want to guess their least favorite?

As an aside, you'll notice what an erratic genre list this is as I try  to
figure out what sound will motivate them to practice, have a good fit with
their skill level, and my teaching goals, etc.

My post was motivated by the discussion on what to have a beginner listen
to.  If I see interest in this, I'll watch for about a week and publish the
answers next week.
Ginny

STL BandJos Youth Band Book Table of Contents – May  2010
Page                            Item
1                                             Star Wars Theme, ? 1977
2                                  Mama Don’t Allow No Banjo Playin’,
Traditional
3A-B                           Buffalo Gals Come Round the Mountain Medley,
 Trad
4                            Alley  Cat, 1962
6A                        America the Beautiful, 1882
6B                        America, 1744  – This Land Is  Your Land, 1940
7                           Aba Daba Honeymoon, 1914
8                           Dead  Skunk, 1972
9                           Patriotic Medley, 1906, 1908
10                         Just Because, 1937
11                         Notre Dame Fight Song, 1928
12                         Armed Forces Medley,
13                                 I’ve Been Working On the Railroad,
Traditional
14                                Puff!  The Magic Dragon, 1963
15                                Waiting  for the Robert E. Lee, 1912
16                                When  the Saints Go Marching In,
Traditional
17                                 Yes,  Sir, That’s My Baby, 1925
18                                 March  Medley, 1910
19                                 St.  Louis Blues, 1914
20                                 Tiny  Bubbles, 1966
21                                 Dueling  Banjos, Orig, Feudin’ Banjos,
1955
22                                 The  Entertainer, 1902
23                                 At  the Codfish Ball, 1936
24                          The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh),  1951
25                           Rock Around the Clock, 1953
26                                 Ghost  Riders in the Sky, 1949
27                                 Are  You Havin’ Any Fun, 1939
28                              Ice Cream, 1927
29                                     Over  the Rainbow, 1938
30                                      If  I Only Had a Brain, 1938
31                                     We’re  Off to See the Wizard, 1938
32                                      I  Wisht’ I Was In Peoria, 1925
33                                     The  Banjo’s Back in Town, 1944 or
1955 ?
34                                     Rocky  Top
35                                     Happy  Trails to You, 1938
36                                     Peter  Cottontail
37                                     Do  Lord
38                                     In  the Garden & How Great Thou Art
39                                     Do,  Re, Mi
40                                     Bye  Bye Blues