[Dixielandjazz] Ukelele Madness (now morphing into a ukulelequestion)

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 27 08:19:41 PDT 2010

Where are you Pat the Ladd who is old enough to remember (ooops, sorry dear
mate) >>

Hi Bill,

sorry, can`t help on this one. Something I have never heard of.
 In 1942 I was waiting every lunchtime outside the school dining hall to
hear the boys of the sixth form tuning in to AFN (American Forces Netwok).
Harry James `Trumpet Blues and Cantabile` would burst forth followed by the
American presenter say `"Here you are men. Another `Duffle Bag`.
This was followed by a record request programme. Great stuff.
Goodman,Miller, Kay Kayser, The Dorseys. Woodchoppers Ball, My guys come
back,Opus One, Jukebox Saturday night. Heigh Ho.

I can remember the Brit Musicians Union strike that didn`t allow American
leaders to bring their bands with them on the grounds that there were plenty
of Brit musicians who could do that. I remember not being able to buy
`Downbeat` because I was not a professional musician. Unfortunately nothing
about ukele`s

I was always sorry when we were summoned to eat and the `wireless` (We
didn`t have `radio`) was switched off. Oh those undercooked potatoes with
the eyes in and that water thin custard and apple dessert. Yuck.

Cheers

Pat