[Dixielandjazz] What do we mean by "Trim Your Posts?" Re: NY Times article on Ear Regulars

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Apr 26 19:50:58 PDT 2010

Hi all,

See all that e-junk that came along with the messages from "Baglady4?"

Remember all the e-mail addresses, headers and footers and other stuff
you forgot to remove from a forwarded message? Or a reply to a daily
digest that is huge?

This can all be solved by getting back to the basics - send plain
text, also look at the message before you post it and delete all the
unwanted garbage that might be surrounding your pithy comment or witty
reply!

Sending something from a newspaper website's invitation to "Share This
Story" usually does not work out well for e-mail on DJML - it is a
very basic mail list server and does not understand much of the newer
HTML codes, so it is much better to "copy and paste" plain text.

Some of us, even in the modern super-fast fancy Internet world are
getting e-maill on our cell phones and actually get charged for every
single byte of data!

On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:33 PM, baglady4 at juno.com wrote:

> Old-Time Jazz Swing, But Modern MetabolismBy NATE CHINENvar
> articleToolsShareData = {"url":"http:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/2010\/04\/
> 27\/arts\/music\/27kellso.html","headline":"Old-Time Jazz Swing, But
> Modern Metabolism","description":"The Ear Regulars, a jazz group led
> by the trumpeter Jon-Erik Kellso and the guitarist Matt Munisteri,
> perform in an old drinking house in the South
> Village.","keywords":"Jazz,Ear
> Inn
> ","section
> ":"arts
> ","sub_section
> ":"music
> ","section_display
> ":"Arts","sub_section_display":"Music","byline":"By NATE CHINEN<\/
> a>","pubdate":"April 26, 2010","passkey":null};function
> getShareURL() {    return
> encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.url);}

snip

> ToolsShareData.passkey);}
> The New York jazz landscape has always been defined partly by its
> underground, with the tacit understanding that such a region is
> usually zoned for experimentation. That’s as true as it ever was,
> but it’s an incomplete truth because of all that it overlooks. One
> case in point would be the Ear Regulars, the traditional jazz cohort
> led by the trumpeter Jon-Erik Kellso and the guitarist Matt
> Munisteri every Sunday night at the Ear Inn, on the westernmost edge
> of the South Village, near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel.
> Enlarge This Image Hiroyuki Ito for The New York TimesThe Ear
> Regulars, with, from left, Neal Miner on bass, Harry Allen on tenor
> saxophone, the guitarist Matt Munisteri and the trumpeter Jon-Erik
> Kellso, at the Ear Inn.
> BlogArtsBeatThe latest on the arts, coverage of live events,
> critical reviews, multimedia extravaganzas and much more. Join the
> discussion.
> More Arts News
> The weekly stand is coming up on its third year,

etc.

so now you know...
the rest of the story...

Dave Richoux