[Dixielandjazz] Ukelele Madness (now morphing into a ukulele question)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 26 15:13:08 PDT 2010

 Don Ingle replied to Richard's query "From 1942 until 1944 there was a  strike of the American Federation of Musicians.......One of the early ones had a voice-over during  the ukulele chorus (as I recall) that said the ukulele was not a musical  instrument and was, therefore, allowed on the recording."

<It can be found on the "Red Ingle and the Natural Seven: Tim-Tay-Shun " CD carried by Amazon and others. 28 sides of other very funny numbers.>

Dear Don,
Nice try with the free plug cobber.
*>)
Richard was talking about an earlier MU strike.
The one that forced the record companies to open up their vaults to pre-July 1942 treasures.
And helped initiate all those wonderful V-Discs.
Your dad's record was made on 5 August 1948. (And he wasn't on it anyway, because he refused to break the later 1948 MU recording ban.)
I have the CD (as you know). Just played the track. No mention of the ukulele not being a musical instrument, that I could hear.
We still have Richard's question to answer.
Very kind regards 'me old'.
Bill.
PS: Did you get that brook trout?