[Dixielandjazz] Ukelele Madness (now morphing into a ukulele question)

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 11:07:03 PDT 2010

In a message dated 4/26/2010 12:55:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com writes:

for  Ukelele Madness programs use this link

_http://jazzhotbigstep.com/18501.html_
(http://jazzhotbigstep.com/18501.html)

    Fun!

    That reminds me to ask a  question....

    From 1942 until 1944 there was a  strike of the American Federation of
Musicians, to force the issue of paying  royalties to instrumental
performers on recordings.  During that strike,  recordings didn't have any
instrumental music.

    However, record producers figured out  that, by AFM definition, the
ukulele was NOT a musical instrument.  Some  recordings used ukuleles.  One of
the early ones had a voice-over during  the ukulele chorus (as I recall)
that said the ukulele was not a musical  instrument and was, therefore, allowed
on the recording.  As a  seven-year-old, that tickled my funnybone.

    Can anyone tell me what recording that  was?  If I could identify it, I
might be able to track down a copy of the  78 rpm record (sigh...).

    Many thanks.

                                                                Al B