[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ WAX ARTICLE - The death trap of early jazz.

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Wed Apr 21 18:13:19 PDT 2010

> Not only are NONE of the ten nominated CDs in my vast jazz record
> collection, I have never heard a track from any of them!
> To recommend this list of CDs as an introduction to real jazz would be to
> push kids away from our music, probably for good.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Onyer Bill,

I got interested in jazz by hearing Muggsy's Ragtimers and the Bobcats back
in 1943 when they were often played over Sydney radio stations - and not
only in jazz specific programmes. That led to Louis, Bix and all the rest,
particularly when Columbia and HMV started the HOT JAZZ CLASSICS series.
Those bands, plus the locals like Graeme Bell and the PJJB,  would be as
good a starting point for newcomers today as any.

Then when they get a bit interested get them along to hear live jazz - in
Sydney like the New Wolverines, the Ozcats and the Robbers Dogs.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell