[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Wax Article - The death trap of early jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 18:12:37 PDT 2010

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>

> Stephen G Barbone passed on a suggested list of 10 CDs JazzWax
> contributor, Marc Myers, would:
> "...play or buy for a beginner who's curious about the music. And do
> so in the following order, to draw in the person little by little."
>
>> Bill Evans—How My Heart Sings (1962)
>> Oscar Peterson—Plays the Jerome Kern Songbook (1956)
>> Dave Brubeck—Jazz Impressions of Eurasia (1958)
>> Miles Davis—Musings of Miles (1955)
>> Sonny Rollins—Newk's Time (1957)
>> Lee Morgan—Lee-Way (1960)
>> Red Garland—It's a Blue World (1958)
>> Coleman Hawkins—Night Hawk (1960)
>> John Coltrane—Stardust (1958)
>> Jack McDuff—The Honeydripper (1961)
>
> Dear Steve,
> No tongue-in-cheek this time from one-eyed Billy.
> Here is another jazz authority (one of many) who appears to think
> jazz started in 1956.
> The list of interviews accompanying his blog site would certainly
> indicate his bias.
> Not only are NONE of the ten nominated CDs in my vast jazz record
> collection, I have never heard a track from any of them!
> To recommend this list of CDs as an introduction to real jazz would
> be to push kids away from our music, probably for good.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Yes, I suppose many would agree with you on first reading. But then,
Mr Myers said in his preamble to the list:

"Last week a friend asked me to recommend a jazz compilation for
someone new to jazz. I resisted, telling him that they're all death
traps. First, they're loaded with old things (pre-World War II) that
are great later but certainly would turn off a newcomer. Second,
compilation song choices often stink."

I think when re-reading what Myers says, he is quite aware of early
jazz. And that perhaps in the ears of a newcomer to the genre, some of
that early jazz would immediately turn off a newbie. I can understand
that. Hearing Livery Stable Blues by ODJB as one's first jazz record
would most likely result in losing that person as a jazz fan. <grin>

Note that Myers also say that these old things; "may be great later".

Myers goes on to say:

"Here are 10 albums I would play or buy for a beginner who's curious
about the music. And I'd do so in the following order, to draw in the
person little by little (all are available as downloads):"

Note that he starts with Bill Evans, then OP plying Jerome Kern, then
Brubeck etc., etc. Why? Because he believes that the newbie will be
drawn in by these very listenable jazz music offerings. Once drawn in,
then we can start the education process and go back to Livery Stable
Blues.

For a kick, and to see Humphry Lyttelton introducing a number by the
Bill Evans Trio in 1965, go to:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ghgx_bill-evans-how-my-heart-sings-jazz_music

The actual CD includes some easier listening tunes like Summertime & I
Should Care.

Or see Evans with "My Foolish Heart" at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LFVWBmoiw  (Notice it 800,000  hits)

Nice tune to hear when you are snuggled up on a couch in winter, in
front of a fire, with your main squeeze.

Then again, Louis Armstrong and What a Wonderful World has 22,000,000
hits, and many diss it. Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRqYMTpXHc

And who doesn't like OP playing the Jerome Kern Songbook? Classic
trio, w/ Brown Bass, Thigpen, drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2tfGKR2Bx4    OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Cx8FG31OA&feature=related

Playing before a lot of young people here in the USA, I tend to agree
with Myers in that they will more readily focus on jazz if you play
something that is relevant to them at first, and then expand their
ears to the more esoteric stuff whether it be Livery Stable or Monk's
Dream.

Then again, I think you judge Mr. Myers with your eyepatch eye. Use
the other one and see him discuss Pops:

http://www.jazzwax.com/2009/08/louis-armstrong-the-decca-years.html

If you go to the search box on the upper right of that page, you can
type in Louis Armstrong and see quite a few articles by Myers about
him, or maybe search for Bix or Fats and you'll get a truer dimension
of Mr.Myers.

Doggone it, you'll even find a plethora of articles if you search
Original Dixieland Jazz Band. <grin>

The man knows Jazz quite well.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone