[Dixielandjazz] Scanning record jackets [was Alan Frederickson "Here 'Tis" LP]

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat Apr 17 07:21:52 PDT 2010

Gordon asked,

"Dick,

>How did you scan the 12x12 jacket??"

It ain't easy.  A professional scanner that can handle artwork that
size costs thousands . . . but you can, for a cuppla hundred or so,
buy consumer/small business grade scanners that handle business-size
paper, i.e., 8 1/2" x 14".  I have a Microtek ScanMaker X12USL
scanner, which may still be available...not sure.  But I know that
Epson makes a scanner that size, the Perfection V300 Photo.  I've had
good luck with Epson scanners in the past, and I'd go for that if the
MicroTek should die.  Also, the top of the line Brother and HP
all-in-ones come with business-letter sized scan tables.  I've tried
them both, but I really prefer the MicroTek.

You then scan the cover in two parts and laboriously* stitch them
together using a photo editing program -- in my case, I use a very
old version of Adobe PhotoShop.  *I say laboriously, but modern
versions of photo editors (such as the relatively inexpensive Adobe
PhotoShop Elements) have utilities that are supposed to do that for
you.  They're designed for people who want to take multiple digital
landscape photos and then combine them into a composite panorama view.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org