[Dixielandjazz] Richard ~ Listening Survey

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 16 13:11:05 PDT 2010

Hello Marek,
you probably realise that was a deliberate misselling.

I would, really this time, love to find tracks I could listen to and enjoy of FH5, MF, AH, and Mezz. But alas they do not please my ears.

I've nowt against fun Dixieland ~ Dapper Dan Alex Welsh Roy Williams (superb).
Nowt against high trumpet ~ Fats Navarro, Diz, Wingy Manone.

Nowt against the superb skills of Hirt but so has Kryl and Clarke (don't listen to them often either) ~ the exception, for me, is Hurt playing the original New Orleans recording of While We Dance At The Mardi Gras (Southland).

As for Mezzrow ~ on many great sessions I'll agree. I've said my piece on him.
Here's some other opinions of Mezzrow's collaborations with Bechet.

Illustrated Encyclopaedia Of Jazz - 'simple, but heartfelt'
Jazz On Record - 'Mezzrow's generally subdued playing may not be a very stimulating front line partner'

Marek, what recordings did Bill recommend of Mezzrow? I've deleted the relevant email.

What am I talking about? 'Recommended' Mezzrow ~ hmmm!

Have you the trio performances of Ted Lewis, Mezzrow and Wilton Crawley?

Richard