[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays April 16

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Apr 16 10:55:03 PDT 2010

Robert Ringwald wrote:
> 1889: Charles Chaplin
> 1910: Bobby Henderson
> 1923: Bennie Green
> 1924: Henry Mancini
> 1927: Edie Adams
> 1927: Herbie Mann
> 1929: Roy Hamilton
> 1933: Perry Botkin Jr.
> 1939: Dusty Springfield
>

> --Bob Ringwald
> Amateur (ham) Radio call sign K6YBV
> rsr at ringwald.com
> Fulton Street Jazz Band
> 916/806-9551
>
> Advice for new musicians:
> 1.  Never be a mug at the bar.
> 2.  Don't hang around with chorus-girls as they'll spend your money quicker than you can earn it.
> (And the most important of them all)
> 3.  Never trust a drum break!

Thanks for the birthday lisintg about Perry Botkin, jr. He was a member
our North Hollywood high school jazz band which also include drummer
Gene Estes, bassist Mel Pollan, reed man John Bambridge, and pianist
John Williams (reah - that John Williams). Perry was known as "Bunny",
Johnny Williams as "Curly," and yours truly as "Ding".
Last time I had contact with "Bunny" was a phone call when I was at the
L.A. Labor Day jazz fest with the Sons of Bix. Spent some time between
sets with Gene, and had a chance to talk with John Bambridge who was
subbing with Bob's Great Pacific jazz band.
Have though about the old gang - Gene is fone now, don't kow abotu Mel -
he ha a long tenure with Les Brown, John B. wit he the Tonight show band
with Doc Severinsen, and "Bunny" was writing for several TV sitcoms,
including Mork and Mindy.
Consider that "Bunny" was two years younger than me, that would put him
at 77 - I am now at 79, and the rest of us were of the same year class.
Of ourse next year I will become an Octagenarian - which gives me a
whole year to learn how to spell it without looking at the dictionary.
Anyway, thanks Robert - your date list is sometimes more than trivia.
If  I am still alive next year, (2/10) you can include me, and others
can tell their  war stories about me. Some may actually be true!
Don Ingle