[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of Slow Tempos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 13:43:53 PDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  "Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Seems to be that one of the characteristics of top level players is
> that
> they can  make a slow (or even a too slow) tempo interesting and even
> really swing.  I can remember hearing instances when what seemed to
> be a faulty beginning tempo (way too slow) turned into an epic
> performance.
> But only the better musicians can make that happen.

I hear you Ken. IMO one of the true tests of musicianship is how well
the band or soloist plays a Ballad.

Like slow tempi "I Can't Get Started", "Stardust", or "What A
Wonderful World." Yeah, I know, lots of folks abhor WWW but in my
ears,  the changes and the opportunity to play an improvised new
melody over them are superb.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband