[Dixielandjazz] George Probert

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 09:38:32 PDT 2010

In a message dated 4/14/2010 9:28:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jdrobertson at att.net writes:

with 60  jazz bands,
> and the arr we had was the closest to Kid's arr he'd ever  heard! But
> "Canal St. Blues"...WOW!

I'm proud to say I call him "Uncle George" and the first time  I hear him
do "Canal St. Blues" was with the Natural Gas at Sacramento way back  in the
late 70's and fell in love with what he does especially with another reed
player. In the late 80's I brought the Natural Gas down to Orange Country for
a  concert I named "Sax Appeal" with the Natural Gas's Bob Murphy, Uncle
George and  Larry Wright all on reeds. I still get goose pimples when I hear
them all doing  that tune. It was something to remember for sure.

For those who might not know, George is not doing really well  right now
and although he is playing when he can close around home, he has said  he is
not going to travel anymore for festivals but then he has said that  before.

I very first time I heard George was many years before I met  him a
Disneyland of course as a teenager we would go on the weekends to listen  to the
bands and music.

Jazz Hugs

Judie