[Dixielandjazz] Long Songs

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Apr 13 23:16:51 PDT 2010

I have two I would suggest.
"What's the Use"  - I heard Eddie Miller and Matty MAtlockl exchange 12
choruses - EACH - on it in a jam at the Old Club 47 onStudior City in
the late 40's. And every take was as good as it has ever gotten/period.
My 17-year old ears got educated in the art of non-repetitive creation.
Each take was new.

My second would be "Shimmy S' Wabble. Have heard a number of bands have
a long run at it, but no one every beat Jim Cullum's gang as they built
layer upon layer of changing mood, solo placement and gradually build to
a climax -- something they do as few current bands do. A joy in both cases.
Don Ingle