[Dixielandjazz] Long Songs

jack wiard jack_wiard at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 18:47:24 PDT 2010

LONG SONGS....I remember hearing Miles Davis live at the BOTH-AND Club in  San Francisco in the 1960s....He came out,tapped in the bass and drummer at 'tempo orgasmo furioso' and played on nothing but a C minor chord for 23 minutes.....He did all this with his back to the audience,purportedly to hear himself better bouncing off the wall....At the end, the audience roared,and Davis,without the hint of a smile walked off the stage until the next set,which I did not stay for....You'd think he would have announced the number he just played,so I would know what not to buy ....He displayed the same 'showmanship' in Sydney,Australia 20 years later.....Benny Goodman was one of the last of the famous musicians to decide to stretch out his numbers on lps...His comment at the time was  'If you can't say what you want to say on a song in 3 minutes,you are waffling'   [or words to that effect]..No truer words spoken.....[Goodman later went on to record SING SING SING, but I wouldn't change a note of that].......Cheers    JACK WIARD