[Dixielandjazz] Long Songs

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 13 16:20:27 PDT 2010

dwlit at cpcug.org challenged us with:
> Just for the heck of it:
> What OKOM tunes do you consider to be worth playing for 15-20 minutes?

Dear David,
I can't add any new tunes but, perhaps, the longest jazz tunes already on record would include Mezz Mezzrow's "A La Schola Cantorum" with Guy Longnon, Peanuts Holland (t) Mezz Mezzrow (cl) Milt Sealey (p) and Kansas Fields (d).
Recorded at Schola Cantorum in Paris [France] on 20 May 1955.

Blues avec u pont [Blues with a Bridge]
	Part 1 (slow) 10.10 and Part 2 (fast) 7.00 = 17.10m
Mineur avec un pont [Minor with a Bridge]
	Part 1 (slow) 12.00 and Part 2 (fast) 8.00 = 20.00m
(with a nod in the direction of "St James Infirmary Blues".)

I had the original 12" LP, which I recall having one continuous performance (no scroll break) for the two-part performances on each side.
However, my French Jazz Time CD has allocated breaks between the slow/fast sections of each title.
It was one of my favourites when I bought it in the late 50s.
Playing it now - and it is still a fine performance all round.
All based on the idea for Mezz's 78rpm disc "Comin' On With The Come On" (Parts 1 & 2) with Tommy Ladnier, recorded in New York for Bluebird on 21 November 1938.
Unfortunately, many people used to put Mezzrow down as a musician.
I never knew why, but it was often those silly 'critics' who also hated Pee Wee Russell's playing.
Tall poppy syndrome?
Very kind regards,
Bill.