[Dixielandjazz] How much trad jazz do you listen to?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 11 20:41:57 PDT 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
> I listen about 3% of the time to trad jazz. Maybe less. The rest of my listening time is roughly 60% to modern jazz, 35 % to classical music and 2 % all other music.

Dear Steve (who always says I am one-eyed),
I am amazed at how little trad you listen to.
My own listening is confined to my extensive record collection (I rarely listen to radio) and comprises:
all classic and vintage jazz from the 1920s and 30s
classic and urban blues from the 20s
hot dance bands from the 20s (US, England and Australia)
small group swing from the 30s and 40s (up to Lester Young)
swinging Swing band music of the 30s and early 40s
the jazz revival from the 40s onwards
the New Orleans (Bunk, Lewis, etc.) revival from the late 30s to the early 50s
'trad' jazz from Australia, Britain, Europe, the US (but not all), South America
everything by Louis Armstrong, Wild Bill Davison, Eddie Condon, Pee Wee Russell, Benny Goodman, Ralph Sutton, Bix
everything by Spike Jones, Red Ingle, Tom Lehrer, Stan Freberg
girl vocalists from the 20s and 30s (swing related) + Billie Holiday
early Ellington and Basie
ragtime, stride, barrelhouse, boogie and swinging piano

Which probably indicates that I am not a proper mouldy fig.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.