[Dixielandjazz] Back to Asylum Street Spankers

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 15:53:53 PDT 2010

Hi, Yes Asylum Street Spankers have been brought up a time or two in the
past, but not for a good while.  Because I was so taken with a couple of
their You Tubes, I went to see them live a couple of years ago.  They
apparently are a constantly touring group which results in fair amount of  turnover
of personnel.  But I thought they provided outstanding  entertainment, saw
some awesome musicians among the group.  Love to hear  the main gal, whose
name escapes me, sing blues or anything else for that  matter.

An interesting point which seems to be true of Asylum Street, but  alsoof
many other musical entertainers -- what works very well  visually and one
time does not wear well for repeated listening -- at least for  me.  So while I
would go watch them at any opportunity, I don't have any of  their CDs.

I've also noticed that even in my favorite Dixieland genre, what may
delight me seen and heard live, does not necessarily mean I will want to listen
to it multiple times on CD, or I-pods or whatever more modern listeners
use.  Yet, their are ensembles who manage to record tunes that I want to
listen to again and again.  Some of this has to do with the right amount of
interplay and complexity.  That is, I can listen to next time and focus on
something different from my focus the time before.  However, this  "complexity"
has to be tightly woven among the players in a group that's hitting
together.

Ginny