[Dixielandjazz] Used to be about mouldy fig newtons

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 20:02:27 PDT 2010

In a message dated 4/10/2010 10:39:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com writes:

However, at my age and in my present condition, I believe the supple  young
lady might kill me the first night so, I'm afraid I would have  to  settle
for the piano tuner...........as long as his name wasn't Opporknockity  (I
know everyone's probably heard that shaggy dog  story)

    I seem to have joined the right club  ... of my peers.  Speaking of
peers ... no, we  better not get into that.

    I'm curious about one thing.   Here's the background....

    I play Dixieland, and I love to play  it.  But when it comes to
listening to music, I listen  to a little bit of everything -- except for heavy
classical, opera, hip-hop, and  hard rock.  I spend perhaps 10% of my
music-listening time with traditional  jazz.

    Tonight, for example, I've been  downloading audio tracks from YouTube
videos of WW II German military music --  the music that made it so easy to
get the German people to march off to war in  times past.  It's deeply
stirring music, and more heavily militaristic than  Sousa's fine marches. I
probably spend less than 5% of my listening time with  this music .

    Anyway, here is the simple question I  would like to pose to you good
people:

    When you listen to music, about what  percent of the time is that music
traditional jazz?

    If you will reply to the group, I'll  keep tabs on the answers and
report to the list on the  results.

    I'm curious about  this....

    Of course, if this questions has been  addressed previously, just tell
me what the consensus was.

                                                    Many thanks,   Al