[Dixielandjazz] Saints of Bleecker Street

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat Apr 10 10:31:58 PDT 2010

>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:15:36 -0700
>From: David M Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com>
>
>After a quick sampling of the tracks, I think there are a lot of the
>folks from  The Village Stompers ( Dick Brady, Don Coates, Mitchell
>May, Ralph Casale, Frank Hubbell, Lenny Pogan, Al McManus and Joe
>Muranyi ) but I can't prove it.  I think a Bass Guitar was used on
>some tracks.

I almost mentioned in my note that they sounded like the Village
Stompers to me.  In checking the Wikipedia article on the Stompers, I
found that they recorded more than a few Russian songs on their
various LPs--presumably the Kenny Ball influence at work.  Your guess
is a good one, but but there's one failure of logic:  By 1965, when
this LP was, made, the Village Stompers had produced some hit sides,
so their name would sell; why abandon that name recognition?

Unless...a guess:  They recorded for Epic, so maybe when Art D'Lugoff
wanted them to record for his Village Gate label, they had to do it
under a pseudonym for contractual reasons.  Wouldn't be the first time.

      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org