[Dixielandjazz] John "Punch" Thomas

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Fri Apr 9 14:49:51 PDT 2010

Hi, folks,

    My thanks to all who replied to my  query about John "Punch" Thomas
that Bob Ringwald relayed to the list.  I  signed on board just yesterday, so
as not to burden Bob further.  And many  thanks to Bob for the QSP (that's
ham radio talk...).

    After pursuing several dead-end leads, Ed Cavin  (whom John described
to me on the phone as"my dear friend") sent me John's  e-mail address and
telephone number. Thanks to all who offered help, and special  thanks to Ed for
coming up with the current information!

    The reason I wanted to get in touch  with John is this:  I've been
putting some old audio tracks and photos of  the band Southern Comfort, from the
era 1973 to 1995, on YouTube.  John was  the first trumpet player with the
band, and I'd like for him to see the  YouTubers.

    In case anyone else is interested in  seeing them, I've uploaded 49
tracks so far.  This URL will take you to a  play list; from there you can
click on either individual tracks or on the icon  to play them all (to use them
as background music while you do something  else):

_http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=551E9F0E9B6815CA_
(http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=551E9F0E9B6815CA)

    Later on, I'll be uploading video  clips from footage that was shot at
the jazz festival of the Central Ohio Hot  Jazz Society.  If you keep the
URL above on file, it will always show you  everything that I've uploaded to
date.

    Last month, I decided Southern Comfort  was a good enough band to be
remembered, and that thought is what got me started  on this project.  I hope
you enjoy the music!

                                                         Thanks,  Al Brogdon