[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 13:09:35 PDT 2010

WOT?  My one eyed friend Bill Haesler says there are no jazz violinists?
Lots of Great Jazz Violinists over the years, though Bill may not like
all of their styles. For in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is
king. <grin>

In addition to those mentioned, here's as short list of those who are
still swinging. And did anyone mention our Hungarian list mate Tamas
Itzas? I'll bet he can name numerous other Hungarians besides himself
who are swinging jazz violinists.

Regina Carter (Born 1966) - arguably the world's best.

Svend  Asmussen  (born 1916) He was Benny Goodman's favorite

Jean-Luc Ponty (born 1942)

Billy Bang (born 1947)

Adam Taubitz (born 1947)

Valentin Gregor (born 1963)

Didier Lockwood (born 1946)

For a much more complete list, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_violinists

Lets hope 14 year old Jonathan Russell keeps the flame burning.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband