[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 11:10:32 PDT 2010

Hi Again,

We all seem to have forgotten the unforgettable Ray Nance: a great trumpeter, violinist, singer and all-round entertainer who spent most of his life in Duke Ellington's band. Then our antipodean cousins have the redoubtable George Washingmachine, another personality performer and mighty swinger. In Scotland, we also had a fine jazz violinist in the Grappelli idiom, called Stephen Coutts. Stephen decided to concentrate on guitar many years ago and dropped the violin, which is a shame as he was a fine player. But then, he now plays excellent guitar, which allows him to play beautifully in a harmonic idiom which can only be hinted at on the violin. He's currently the solo guitarist with Swing 2010, a band which Marek used to know on his visits to the Edinburgh Jazz Festival when it used to be called Swing 1984, 1985, 1986 etc. Imagine having to change all your stationery every year!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson,
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk