[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 04:45:37 PDT 2010

Hi All,

Snuff Smith - new kid on the block or what? It makes the old Ronnie Scott gag a bit more sinister He used to do a routine at his club announcing next month's attraction: an all-star band co-led by Stan Getz and Stuff Smith, so get your tickets now for the Getz-Stuff Quintet!  The Getz-Snuff Quintet sounds like a much more violent outfit.

While I'm on, how about Claude Fiddler Williams, first guitarist with the Count Basie Orchestra, but better known as a fiery, bluesy jazz violinist straight out of the hard-swinging Kansas City tradition. I did a gig with him years ago and thought beforehand that a jazz violin gig would require me to play brushes all night. Not a bit if it. It turned out to be a rave-up of powerful, punchy music and great fun for the band and audience

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk