[Dixielandjazz] Aaron Weinstein

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 16:38:37 PDT 2010

Marek:

You are absolutely correct as to there not being too many jazz violinists,
that's why I believe this Jonathan Russell, (who Steve Barbone claims is NOT
his protege but the facts indicate otherwise) has a bright future ahead of
him.

As to the old-timers, I hear the term jazz violin, and I can't come up with
any right off the top of my head beyond Joe Venuti, Snuff Smith and of
course Stephane Grappelli, particularly famous for his association with
Django Reinhart.

A few years ago, I came across an inexpensive CD that featured different
artists who had performed on NY's 52nd Street in the 40s and 50s.  They were
not live, but studio recordings reproduced from 78s and some of the Snuff
Smith stuff was really terrific.

Also, if you ever have the opportunity to get a hold of a VHS or DVD of
"King of The Gypsies", watch it as it has a great soundtrack by Grappelli.

I should also mention that near the end, NY's Smith Street Society Jazz Band
appears on screen playing the title number as a part of a funeral march.

I will refrain from mentioning whose funeral it was, not wishing to spoil
the ending for anyone.

Tides,
Harry