[Dixielandjazz] Pronunciation (again)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:47:46 PDT 2010

Gerard:

I'll stick my neck out and say that you'd pronounce it the same way as if it
was spelled "Aron".

If you're referring to his last name, you must realize that you're possibly
asking this question of people who can't pronounce the state they live in
(half of the residents in New Jersey say New Joisey; likewise with New York,
it's New Yawk)........boy, am I gonna catch hell over that one.

For as long as I can remember, I've been hearing Leonard Bernstein and Artur
Rubinstein pronounced alternately with the "STEEN" or "STINE" sound

If you apply the same pronunciation to the second syllable as the beer mug,
it would correctly be the "STINE" sound but since it's a proper noun, that
rule would not necessarily apply..........matter of fact, since you're
dealing with us Americans, does any rule really apply?

William Safire might have had the correct answer but I understand he's no
longer among the living.

But, thank you for raising the question as it prompted me to go to Wikipedia
and I at least now know who Aaron Weinstein is

BTW: In case you haven't observed, according to our Steve Barbone, the
up-and-coming jazz violinist to keep an eye on is Jonathan Russell.  I
believe he is now 13, and started playing at the age of 8.  He has performed
with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Band and has received rave
reviews wherever he has been appearing.

Tides,
HC.