[Dixielandjazz] John"Punch" Thomas wherabouts,

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 11:55:15 PDT 2010

Hi, folks,

    My thanks to all who replied to my  query about John "Punch" Thomas
that Bob Ringwald relayed to the list.  I  signed on board just yesterday, so
as not to burden Bob further.  And many  thanks to Bob for the QSP (that's
ham radio talk...).

    Here's what I've put together from the  kind replies several listees
sent via Bob:  John's  house was destroyed in a fire, and he is now living
with his daughter.   neither John's old e-mail address nor his old phone number
work any  more.

    Does anyone know the name of John's  daughter?  Or any way I can get in
touch with him?

    I called AFM 444 in  Jacksonville.  They have a very old card on John,
but no current  information.  Rick, the guy I spoke with there, knew John
from playing a  couple of Dixieland gigs with him many years ago, but he
hasn't been in  recent contact.

    The reason I want to get in touch with  John is this:  I've been
putting some old audio tracks and photos of the  band Southern Comfort, from the
era 1973 to 1995, on YouTube.  John was the  first trumpet player with the
band, and I'd like for him to see the  YouTubers.

    In case anyone else is interested in  seeing the YouTubers, I've
uploaded 49 tracks so far.  This URL will take  you to a play list; from there you
can click on either individual tracks or on  the icon to play them all (to
use them as background music while you do  something else):

_http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=551E9F0E9B6815CA_
(http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=551E9F0E9B6815CA)

    Later on, I'll be uploading video  clips from footage that was shot at
the jazz festival of the Central Ohio Hot  Jazz Society.  If you keep the
URL above on file, it will always show you  everything that I've uploaded to
date.

    Last month, I decided Southern Comfort  was a good enough band to be
remembered, and that thought is what got me started  on this project.  I hope
you enjoy the music!

                                                         Thanks,  Al Brogdon