[Dixielandjazz] George Webb's Funeral, Rod Mason Hot Five & Graeme Hewitt High Society Jazz Band on YouTube

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 7 13:37:15 PDT 2010

Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear John,
> Nobody has picked up, or at least commented, that the Rod Mason link is a repeat of the Funeral one.
> Maybe nobody else bothered to watch the videos.

He Bill,
You could be right Bill, maybe nobody watched. Anyway here is the
correct link to the Rod Mason Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yleTGOVYzj4

> 8>)
> I noticed my dear mate, the smiling Max Collie, prominently positioned in the George Webb funeral band.
> We go way back to our teenage daze in Melbourne, Australia.

Yes Max was in fine form.

> PS; Your 'MUST listen' list of drummers in an email the day before does not mention Dave Tough.
> Deliberate?

No that was an error, although I think he was less inflential in
traditional jazz circles than many of the others I mentioned.
> So far as Black Happy Goldston is concerned, he became my instant favourite when I bought "Li'l Liza Jane" on a 78rpm disc (N.O.B 6) back in the early 50s.
I discovered Black Happy in 1969 when I bought a compilation LP called
New Orleans Jazzmen, which had the Ory Exners and two Lewis tracks.
I was immediately impressed with Happy's fluid snare work, which swings
like the clappers and is also technically correct. Essential listening,
I'd say.

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ