[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Fields -- the search

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 3 10:16:13 PDT 2010

Thanks to the several people who took an interest in the search.  :I have
made contact with several off list that I had hoped had some information.
One was a person who was close to the Ken Colyer scene when he first
recorded it a few years after returning from New Orleans.  He made the
observation that he doubted it had a hymn source, more likely a strain from
an obscure march or even ragtime piece.  The title had led me to the speculation
that it had some religious reference.  Furthermore, he stated that Colyer
rarely played it in live performances.   So I shall change my detective work
to other areas.  Maybe a search for the 8th dwarf who is rumored to know
where the map to the lost gold mine is hidden.  The internet does make for
these kind of searches does it not?

Ken Gates   ---  Detective still in apprentice mode