[Dixielandjazz] Music for the Kentucky Derby

Hillesheim, Jim jwh at ku.edu
Sat Apr 3 07:38:57 PDT 2010

I always assumed that the title of this great Joplin rag referred to
horse racing. But now that I stop to think about it, what is the basis
for this assumption? I understand that Joplin published this rag
himself, so the title is probably his own creation, but is there any
documentation, or circumstantial evidence, as to what Joplin might have
had in mind when he came up with this title?

Cheers,
Jim Hillesheim
Lawrence, Kansas