[Dixielandjazz] Mississippi Mud Verse?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 1 22:19:25 PDT 2010

Roy (Bud) Taylor asked:
> Anybody know of a verse for Missississsisisisippi Mud?  The Rhythm
> Boys do a version featured on YouTube where the tempo changes and the
> part "I left my sugar standing in the rain..."  doesn't really fit the
> theme.  The part "Lordy, how they play it" etc, may be the verse, but
> fits better after the Chorus.

Dear Bud,
Spot on.
The observation that "Lordy, how they play it" etc. ...fits better after the Chorus.
That is because it is the 'interlude'.
The "I left my sugar standing in the rain" part is a bit of patter unrelated to the Harry Barris composition and is based on the song, "I Left My Sugar Standing In The Rain", composed by Sammy Fain and Irving Kahal.
This version of "Mississippi Mud" is rare and always left out of Paul Whiteman discographies because it is 'vocal with piano accompaniment'.
It can be found, occasionally, under Bing Crosby's name. I have it on LP, but not on CD. Yet.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

Frank Trumabauer:
  http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html

Paul Whiteman with the Original Rhythm Boys:
  http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Whiteman/mud.ram

Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys (Mississippi Mud + I Left my Sugar Standing In The Rain)
http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html

The Goofus Five
http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/goofusfive/ileft.ram