[Dixielandjazz] The Ramblers, Ferinand Havlik

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 09:57:31 PDT 2009

Hello folks,
Last week I bought a bunch of LPs, including a double album by The
Ramblers (Decca DA 153/154).
Although no information is given, this is a Dutch band.
For those who don't know: Coleman Hawkins recorded with the Ramblers
in the 1930's, as did Benny arter (worth seeking out).
However, this is a modern recording, and the sleeve features a band of
mostly silver-haired gentlemen.
Record one comprises medleys titled (and mostly - sung) in Dutch;
having heard it, I was afraid to listen to record two, even though the
performance was quite good.  Record two features an excellent,
swinging band.  All songs, with the exception of In the Mood and
Farewell Blues (apparently the band's closing theme, as it ends both
LPs) are by the trumpeter Jack Bulterman, who is on the 30's
recordings as well.  Since all numbers on the old recordings are his
arrangements, I assume that so are the new ones.  One number -
Meditation - was also recorded with Coleman Hawkins.
Has anybody got any information on this album?  any detaisl will be appreciated.

Another album with very scant information (still more than the
Ramblers, although I find reading and understanding Czekh a bit
difficult) is Swing Coctail by Swing Band Ferdinanda Havlika
(Ferdinand Havlik's Swing Band) on Supraphon 1113 3235 H.  It was
recorded in 1983 (I assume - in September, but cannot be sure, as the
names of months in Czekh are different; the month metioned sounds
similar to Polish for September).  I assume that personnel is similar
to the one that played in Breda around that time (the four musicians
mentioned in the liner notes appear on the Breda recordings).
Cheers,
Marek