[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Styles

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Sep 18 22:12:57 PDT 2009

There is a style of banjo playing I have not heard too frequently, and
since I am not a certified Banjo operator I don't know how to describe
it in structural terms . A few Brit/Euro/Oz  "youngish" bands play it,
especially the HooDangers ( http://www.hoodangers.com/tunes.html ) and
maybe it is an offshoot of the UK Trad /Skiffle Revival?  Creole New
Orleans? African?

I guess it is sort of a 4 beat with off-beat accents, sometimes 8 to
the bar,  but the beat is stretched a bit at times, especially on slow
tunes. Anyway, makes for some interesting listening, but I am not sure
where it fits in the spectrum of OKOM banjo... I have heard Don Vappie
and Jimmy Mazzy do it at times.

Dave Richoux