[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Whackin'

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Sep 18 14:41:38 PDT 2009

Nancy Giffin posted an article written by Sugar Willie Erickson about banjo players which will appear in the October, 2009 issue of the AATJ, newsletter of the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society.

(snip)
There is one more style that I've only heard
of but have never seen; it's called the "whacker."  The pick is held very firm while
the strings are whacked on the after-beats-fast, hard and loud.  With each whack,
the left hand releases the strings instantly thus making the whack extremely short.

The banjo becomes strictly a rhythm instrument when executed as such.  During the
banjo solos, of course, it's a whole new ball game.
Having a strong whackin' banjoist in a trad band makes for a tight, cohesive, snappy
group.  Any banjoist who both whacks and solos would be in heavy demand.  Bands would
fall all over themselves to get someone like that.
(snip)

When I used to play intermission piano for Turk Murphy's band at Turk and Pete Clute's nightclub Earthquake Magoons in San Francisco, I often sat in on the last set on banjo.  Turk wanted me to play exactly as described above, heavy strokes on beats 2 and 4 and virtually nothing on one and 3.

Sugar Willie goes on to say:

(snip)
I've been keeping contact with Don Palthe about this matter.  He said:  Turk Murphy
was looking for a banjo player to take with him on a European tour, back in the '50s.
I tried out for him and he told me after we played just one song, "I just want you
to whack it on the off-beat.  I don't want all that other stuff."  I couldn't stand
doing that, so there went my trip to Europe!
(snip)

Don Palthe is correct.  It is very boring to play that way.  However, for a trip to Europe with Turk's band,
I would have done it.  In fact, I would have done almost (and I say almost) anything...  However, I do draw the line at some things...  (wink)

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that
money can buy."  --Steve Martin

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4438 (20090918) __________

http://www.eset.com