[Dixielandjazz] Carnegie Hall 1938 Goodman

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 15 00:32:35 PDT 2009

edwin limond wrote:
> I purchased a 4 record album in 1945 that included Sing, Sing, Sing
> from the 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert.  The Album is titled "Symposium
> Of Swing" and is by Victor Records. Both sides of this 12 inch, 78
> RPM record are devoted to Sing, Sing. Sing.  The applause has been
> edited out and the total length is approximately 8 minutes, 43
> seconds.  The other three records are by (one each), Fats Waller,
> Tommy Dorsey, and Bunny Berigan. These records are Victor numbers
> 36205A/B, 36206A/B, 36207A/B, 36208A/B. Is this the first recording
> of Sing, Sing, Sing to be issued?

Dear Edwin,
No. Sorry.
The first version of the tune was recorded by its composer, Louis
Prima, for Brunswick on 28 Feb 1936.
Jimmy Dorsey then recorded it for Decca on 28 March 1936 followed by
Connie McLean, Bunny Berigan, Fletcher Henderson and Willie Lewis.
Benny Goodman featured it in the film 'Hollywood Hotel' (July/August
1937) and recorded it in Hollywood at that time for Victor on 6 July
1937.
That is the 2-part version you have on Victor 36205 which also
"introduced" the Chu Berry-Andy Razaf composition "Christopher
Columbus".
It has no connection with the Carnegie Hall Concert version (held on
16 January 1938) issued by Columbia.
The other records in your album are:
Fats Waller: Vic 36206. "Honeysuckle Rose" (9 April 1937) and "Blue
Turning Grey Over You" (11 June 1937).
Tommy Dorsey: Vic 36207. "Stop, Look and Listen" (15 April 1937) and
"Beale Street Blues" (26 May 1937).
Bunny Berigan: Vic 36208. "I Can't Get Started/The Prisoners Song" (7
Aug 1937).
Very kind regards,
Bill.