[Dixielandjazz] Some Readers Digest "Dixie" bands?

David Richoux dmr at domitype.com
Fri Sep 11 09:48:00 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Over on the TubeNet (tuba players forum) a question was asked about
some bands that recorded (probably in the 1950s/60s, maybe earlier )
and had some tracks re-issued on a Readers Digest boxed set -

Bob Wilson and His Varsity Rhythm Boys

the Mandell Novelty Concert Band

Bob Mandell and His Wolverines

Richard Wayne and the Bearcats

I can't find much of anything on the Internets or my discographies
about these bands - I think they might be session guys with assumed
band names, but I can't prove it either way. I don't have those
recordings myself.

Any clue as to who they might all be? Especially the tuba players...

TIA,

Dave RIchoux