[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 14 21:08:00 PDT 2009

Robert Ringwald wrote (in part):
> Speaking of musicians using assumed names to record, Benny Goodman
> once recorded under the name of Shoeless Joe Jackson, I believe it
> was.  I am not good at remembering details so I could have the names
> wrong.  I'm sure that Bill Haesler will correct me if I am wrong.

Dear Bob,
There's nothing wrong with your memory.
Well almost nothing.
<big grin>
It was Shoeless JOHN Jackson. And used by Goodman for his
participation on Mel Powell's first record date under his own name for
Milt Gabler's Commodore label on 4 February 1942.
18-year-old Mel Powell had joined the Goodman orch in June 1941 as a
replacement for Johnny Guarnieri who had tired of touring.
Goodman was under contract with Columbia at the time, while Gabler had
a strong connection with Decca.
Herewith the session details:
Mel Powell And His Orchestra:
Billy Butterfield (t) Lou McGarity (tb) Benny Goodman [as "Shoeless"
John Jackson] (cl) George Berg (ts) Mel Powell (p) Al Morgan (b)
Kansas Fields (d)
New York, February 4, 1942
	When Did You Leave Heaven?
	The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise
	Blue Skies
	Mood At Twilight
Shoeless JOE Jackson, as we all know, was the infamous baseball player
implicated in the Chicago White Sox 'scandal' in 1919.
Very kind regards,
Bill.