[Dixielandjazz] eddie condon

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 15:50:20 PDT 2009

I really enjoyed Eddie Condon's book-bio, "We Called It Music".  I did
have to locate it via used books.  However, as I read how little he often  ate
in his non money days, and how much he drank on all days, I cannot begin to
explain the decently long life that he lived or even how he functioned!
The book is basically a lot of fun to read and seems to convey the flavor
especially of of his earlier days.  He started as a kid on  ukulele, then
banjo.  He does not talk a lot about his playing, but on page  255 does discuss
why he decided he preferred the chordal sound of  the four string
plectrum-tuned guitar over tenor or ukulele tuning to  the extent that he initially
removed the bass strings from a six string  guitar and tuned it plectrum to
play.  He also says he never had the  desire to play solos.  He did love
chords and rhythm.  Red McKenzie  had this to say, "Condon has a miraculous sense
of time...........He doesn't  make much sound by himself in a band but he
makes a lot of difference in how the  whole band sounds.  He knows music."
(p. 162)

One day I mustered up my courage, took my f-hole arch top plectrum guitar
(built by Scott Anthony on this list) and went to a jazz workshop at a
nearby  college.  I knew already that I had never heard any of their faculty play
 anything pre-bop.  So it was with some trepidation that I even took the
guitar out of it's case.  As I did so, the faculty jazz guitarist said,
"Aha, a Condon guitar!"  I knew then it might be OK to stay.  Turned  out the
guitar was an item of great general interest -- but not enough so to  sell
anymore that day.  Sorry Scott!
Ginny

In a message dated 9/14/2009 9:19:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,