[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 81, Issue 15

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 14 12:43:20 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  cebuisle2 at aol.com (Ted) wrote:
>

> I just revisited a CD I have of Condon's band-and saw for the first
> time he was playing a 4 string guitar. Believe this is a tenor
> guitar? I always thought he played a conventional guitar.
> The 4 stringer has a rather thin tone-which accounts for the fact I
> can't really hear him on recordings. Is it tuned the same way as the
> banjo he used to play? I remember visiting his place in NYC many
> years ago, and it seemed he was doing more table hopping than
> playing. Given that he never soloed? how did he get a reputation as
> a top flight jazz player??? I know his wit couldn't be beat--but his
> playing???????

Hi Ted.

Condon switched from banjo to a Gibson L7 Plectrum guitar in the 1930s
and continued playing it until his death. That guitar neck is about 3
inches longer than a conventional Tenor Guitar. I'm not sure how he
tuned it, but probably either CGBD or DGBD, similar to the Plectrum
banjo.

He was a solid rhythm player, but as Bob Ringwald says, his real
strengths were putting great bands together and getting lots of media
coverage for his music. He kept Dixieland alive and well in NYC until
his death. All kinds of show people, media types and goodfellas went
to hear/see him at his joint. Something seemed to go out of the OKOM
scene there when he passed.

If fans didn't like chatter between songs, Condon's was NOT the place
to go. When Condon was there, they'd have a drink and talk between
songs, sometimes only playing 3 songs in a set. On the other hand,
sometimes the music really took over and at closing time they'd lock
the doors so no new customers could get in, and continue playing for
themselves and the customers already inside. Those, like me, who were
lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, heard some of
the greatest OKOM ever at Condon's. Nothing like it around today.

BTW, the spelling Bob questioned (of his partner's name) is "Pesci",
just like the actor.

For more than you want to know about tenor or plectrum guitars, see:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R7AQCUEXNYLLJ

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband