[Dixielandjazz] eddie condon

cebuisle2 at aol.com cebuisle2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 07:07:45 PDT 2009

I just revisited a CD I have of Condon's band-and saw for the first time he was playing a 4 string guitar. Believe this is a tenor guitar? I always thought he played a conventional guitar.
The 4 stringer has a rather thin tone-which accounts for the fact I can't really hear him on recordings. Is it tuned the same way as the banjo he used to play? I remember visiting his place in NYC many years ago, and it seemed he was doing more table hopping than playing. Given that he never soloed? how did he get a reputation as a top flight jazz player??? I know his wit couldn't be beat--but his playing???????