[Dixielandjazz] Flying with Instruments in US

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 10:56:08 PDT 2009

Hi Elazer,  I spend my life in banjo circles, have flown at least a  dozen
times since 911 and talked to dozens of others who fly with banjos.   There
is no one answer to your question.  All final decisions depend  ultimately
on the flight crew and most especially the chief attendant.   Plane size,
size of overhead bins, what else is already in the closets, etc. all  effect
your carry on of the banjo.  I have had everything happen from  delightfully
receptive crew and pilot to having a stewardess send a non-properly  packed
banjo to general luggage after telling me it would be hand-loaded.   I used
to fly with soft gig bag, fly now only with a Calton case and would never
fly with a banjo that I could not bear to have destroyed or lost.  I have
even once packed a soft gig bag in my general luggage so that I had  something
easier to carry around at my destination.

We do have particularly vulnerable instruments and the most frequent
damage is to those slender necks.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but my pessimism is well-based on facts and
personal experience.
Ginny

In a message dated 9/9/2009 3:47:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,