[Dixielandjazz] Hearing Loss and Musicians

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 11:16:06 PDT 2009

I moved out of music (high school band director) after 18 years in 1980,
(age 43) due to hearing loss. Later, I became a "(crash) test Hearing dummy"
for a major university.

As a band director with hearing loss, I found that I no longer had overtones
and couldn't put the band in tune.  That got progressively worse until  by
the time I bailed out, I was checking notes on the flutes by watching their
fingers.

I got the chance to change careers and went back to school to do it.  The
first things I did was check into the University hearing clinic to have my
ears checked and find out about hearing aids.  I was found to be "profoundly
deaf" needing a 115 db augment in each ear for normal hearing.  You are
considered "legally deaf" if you need an 80 db augment or higher.  The next
question was would my hearing continue to deteriorate when I wasn't exposed
to a band.  The answer is no, it didn't, so there was lots of concern about
the band.  Then a kid doing a study gathered information about my family.
Long/short I have "a hereditary deafness, accelerated by exposure to a
band."

I function now (outside of music) with two very good, very expensive aids
(about $2100 each) and have very little trouble.  I do sing in the community
choir and do still enjoy my record collection.  I can hear basic tones in
music, if not all the timbre. I have trouble in noisy environments, even
simple situations like cocktail parties etc. But in small groups or normal
face to face speech, it's no problem. I did go to classes at the university
and ended up with a  PhD and a whole new career area, outside of music.

Advice!

PROTECT YOUR EARS. There are ear plugs that let you hear music while you
play but do offer a good deal of protection.  I won't go into the mechanics
(but can if you wish) other than to tell you that ONCE YOU LOOSE ANY OF YOUR
HEARING IT DOES NOT AND WILL NOT COME BACK.  There are good "in your ear"
(as opposed to behind the ear) aids now that will allow you to keep playing
and working in music without looking silly, but those are only good up to
about 90db augment.

The other piece of advice if you suspect you are loosing your hearing is to
find a good university hearing clinic, even if you have to travel quite a
ways to get to one, and have your hearing checked.  Don't necessarily go to
your "friendly neighborhood hearing aid store" because it is just that----a
hearing aid store.  They are in business to sell hearing aids.

I am happy to answer individual questions if anyone wants to email me or to
discuss this further if there are questions from the floor.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, (Designated listener - see how really cute that is, now?)