[Dixielandjazz] Ed Metz remembered

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Wed Sep 2 11:35:47 PDT 2009

Very sad news.
I had the good fortune to have been in contact with Ed over several
years, and was the recipient of several CD's of his Bobcats. He had
contacted me becaue he knew I had studied arranging with Matty Matlock
and wanted to know more about Matty's writing style. I did send him a
photo copy of a sketch Matty had given me as a guide when I wanted to
write something on Stomp Mr.Henry Lee, and he wrote to say that it
helped him to see how Matty approached a tune.
His research, good ear, and fine piano skills led him to reconstruct a
period of great post-New Orleans Jazz that took classic root stock and
grew a new crop of jazz-cum-swing style.
Ed was true to his goal of giving us a new chance to hear and enjoy a
period of  trad jazz that still has merit in today's jazz scene for
those with an ear for good writing mixed splendidly with stellar
improvisation. Best of all, his band swings with the best of any era.
I only had one face to face with him, but through our infrequent
postings I came to admire him for what he was doing. He will be missed
by many, but his legacy remains in his recordings of his meticulous
arranging of both new material and lovingly-retored Bobcats classics.
Rest well, Ed - you did well.