[Dixielandjazz] Great Moments In Jazz

Howard Wiseman h.wiseman at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 07:52:49 PDT 2009

In 1956 (approx.),George Shearing put on a free and unpublicized jazz  concert at the University of Virginia.  He started at 7:30 p.m. and the place was packed.  And at 9 o'clock the concert was supposed to be over.  But it wasn't.  He had just returned from South America following a conversation with Charlie Byrd after Charlie had brought back the Bossa Nova.  However, Charlied had miscopied a note or two - which both  men felt were improvements.

But, at 9 Shearing introduced a new singer named Edie Gorme (whom i had seen a couple of years earlier with Vaughn Monroe) and asked if we would mind staying and listening to some new sounds he was trying out.  Think anybody left?  Shearing live playing jazz was not quite the same as he was on the cool records we had heard.  He put everything into it.  As we would say today, he rocked the joint.

A terrific evenng of jazz - maybe not OKOM (there, I used the acronym), but a hard driving jazz
night of mujsic perhaps unique.

Don W (Ignore the "Howard" only computers insist on using that.